Sunday, January 16, 2011

Postscript to #1

"There will always be this bizarre consensus that sporadically interesting, consciously under-produced music is inherently transcendent, mainly because almost no one appreciates it. And that defines the concept of elitism."

  - Chuck Klosterman in the epilogue in Fargo Rock City.

I added this as a post-script to the post below because I used to think about my little-heard music as being better than other people's. I haven't felt that way in a long time, but I always think about Klosterman's quote and how even though he and I disagree vehemently about punk rock's musical worth, we'd agree on this point. No one band is better than any other band on the basis on record sales. Sales don't equal quality, nor does lack of sales equal quality either. I love The Who as much as I love the Dead Kennedys, but the Kennedys don't mean any more to me because "Too Drunk to Fuck" never beat the sales of "My Generation."

No comments:

Post a Comment